The Range Rover project
Home | Page 1 | Page 2 | Page 3 | Page 4 | Page 5 | Page 6 | Page 7 | Page 8 | Page 9 | Links

  Reassembly is the reverse ...

The chassis finished and the engine nearly done I had to start putting the whole lot back together again. This was an odd feeling as I had been so used to taking things apart over the past month or so.

Many parts I re-used, either from the white Range Rover or the old silver one which had been relegated to a spares vehicle. All the parts were cleaned and de-rusted if made out of metal. Smaller parts could be submerged in rust removing acid which was surprisingly effective. Larger parts wore down yet another knotted wire brush on the grinder.

I think it is fair to say that I became a very good customer of Hammerite on this leg of the project.

(click thumbnails for larger images)
Small components were left in rust remover overnight... ...before receiving several coats of Hammerite What happens if you leave metal in the acid too long
Small components were left in rust remover overnight... ...before receiving several coats of Hammerite What happens if you leave metal in the acid too long
The downpipes, once the grinder has finished with them... ...get a coat or two of high temperature paint I wonder how long they will stay like this
The downpipes, once the grinder has finished with them... ...get a coat or two of high temperature paint I wonder how long they will stay like this
Crossmember and gearbox mounts get coated in underseal Heater matrix pipes are sealed at the bulkhead... ...and hoses are fitted
Crossmember and gearbox mounts get coated in underseal Heater matrix pipes are sealed at the bulkhead... ...and hoses are fitted
The recovery tank is next for cleaning... ...before a coat of enamel The washer bottle and air filter are fitted...
The recovery tank is next for cleaning... ...before a coat of enamel The washer bottle and air filter are fitted...
The air filter comes off again for prettifying treatment A coat of primer... ...followed by some enamel
The air filter comes off again for prettifying treatment A coat of primer... ...followed by some enamel
I ran out of enamel so Hammerite it is On it goes again The tank can be tricky to fit on your own
I ran out of enamel so Hammerite it is On it goes again The tank can be tricky to fit on your own
After generous coats of Hammerite the tow hitch is fitted The tank gets a couple of coats of Waxoyl for good measure Bumper mounts needed re-threading after de-rusting and painting...
After generous coats of Hammerite the tow hitch is fitted The tank gets a couple of coats of Waxoyl for good measure Bumper mounts needed re-threading after de-rusting and painting...
...after which it could be fitted... ...followed by the end caps Not forgetting the front bumper, spoiler and end caps
...after which it could be fitted... ...followed by the end caps Not forgetting the front bumper, spoiler and end caps
The rear light clusters were treated to new gaskets The rear floor in place but unfastened Finally, the tailgate
The rear light clusters were treated to new gaskets The rear floor in place but unfastened Finally, the tailgate
Home | Page 1 | Page 2 | Page 3 | Page 4 | Page 5 | Page 6 | Page 7 | Page 8 | Page 9 | Links | Contact